Google announced on Dec. 16, 2011, that the new interface look for Docs, Spreadsheet, and Sites is now permanent. Prior to this, users had the option of using the "classic" look. GAFE domains may wish to alert their staff and students to the change.
Some of the new features in the new interface include:
1) Some options moved under the FILE MENU such as "publish to a webpage" and "email collaborators."
2) Clicking the SHARE BUTTON now shows the visibility state of a Doc when user does a mouse over of the doc.
3) The SAVE button has been removed in DOCS. Google says it's because Docs automatically saves your work. Users can still revert back to earlier versions of a document by using REVISION HISTORY.
4) The LAST UPDATED TIME is now near the menu bar.
5) There is now a BACK ARROW that allows users to navigate from an open DOC back to the DOCUMENTS LIST. Hover the mouse near the document's title, and a back arrow appears.
Google Certified Trainer
Google Apps For Education Regional Leader